[Public-List] Fwd: Thanks to the Alberg Fleet, Tom Price, and PSA... please pass it on

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 15:00:45 PDT 2008

Folks,

I am forwarding this message below from Russ Wesdyk who is one of TC
Williams' regular crew and a friend of mine as well (I know Russ
through dinghy sailing). Anyway, it's a very nice message that he
wanted us to get out to the rest of the Albergers.

We had a great race over to Queenstown, and some of us had a great
race back. The rest of us (which is to say me and Jonathan and our
passengers) bailed out on the race back because it was a very light
event.

I towed a dinghy because I wanted to go ashore and watch the
Auburn-LSU football game on saturday night. Unfortunately (or
fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the raft-up was so much
fun that I could not pull myself away and had to content myself with
watching highlights after I got home.

Suffice to say it was a great event. Saturday was a mix of all
conditions. After a long slog north in a stiff northerly breeze we had
a start in roughly 15 knots of breeze. It was a one-tack beat over to
the first mark. Despite our dinghy handicap and being completely in
the dark about the start timing, not to mention the fact that we were
the only registrant in the 'doublehand' division, we did manage to
work ourselves into 2nd place at one point (due to some very wily
reading of the wind shifts by my crew/tactician/foredeck/spinnaker
trimmer) Seriously folks all I did was hold the stick and take orders.
There were big variations in wind pressure and direction which allowed
for a number of position changes, but the leader of the race never
changed. Tim Williams led from rail to rail and continued his
dominance of the high point scoring. At this point I believe it's
statistically impossible for any of us knuckle-draggers to catch him.

Tim also won the race home by the way, despite being not always on the
right side of the course. As I mentioned, I bailed out on the race
home in favor of getting back to my mooring at a reasonable hour so
that I could hit the books.

Overall it was a great event. The raft was a particular high point,
just as Russ pointed out, there were more kids than adults, and also
more kids than boats. Great food, great friends, great class.

Andrew C and I are going to do a practice session on 10/12 followed by
moving our boats up to PSA in advance of the canadian regatta. If any
of you are interested in joining us, we'd love to have more training
partners. Otherwise, see you at PSA on 10/18!

Ciao,

J Bergquist