[Public-List] Inflatable repair tips...

Rod Symmes harmony at aztec-net.com
Tue Sep 2 06:08:28 PDT 2008

Hi Brian;
    I had the same seam let go a few years ago, from old age.  When I asked for an estimate to re-glue the seam, the service manager dismissed it with " it will be whatever it costs".  I pressed him for a "ball park" figure and he just seemed to lose interest in talking to me.  I think he has been spending too much time doing business with the mega-yacht crowd who just say " here are the keys - have it ready for the weekend - send me the bill."
    I went to their parts department and bought a small tube of the proper glue ( I think it was over $10 for a travel toothpaste sized tube ) - the repair lasted one season
    The next time it lasted 2 months.
    The third time I got a cement from the automotive store ( 'cause I couldn't get to the marina ) and it lasted 2 minutes.
About this time my wife spotted a brand new unit on display at West Marine for $800 and (bless her heart) said " the summer is too short and you paid that much for your used Zodiac."
It had there own name on it but claimed that it was made by Zodiac and somewhere in the fine print I did see "made in France".
I have plans in my head to use the tubes of the old one to make a hard shell using the cedar strip technique that I learned for making a canoe.
Don't hold your breath - it is pretty far down even the winter project list - but if it ever comes about, I will try to document the project.
In the mean time, I can transport family and stuff in a nice dry dink.  And it is much lighter than my old wooden floor model.

Cheers,    Rod