[Public-List] Copper Bottom Paint Removal

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Fri Apr 10 18:23:41 PDT 2009

What mike & george say are absolutely correct ...
if
you
have only ablative paint on your hull ... & you are absolutely sure
that that is all you have. If there are layers of hard bottom paint or
chemical paint then it is much tougher to get off... that is the issue I
ran up against ... try the scrubbimg method of you only want to get that
paint off ... otherwise to get to base gelcoat ... sand!

--

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57

George
Dinwiddie wrote:
> Ted,
>
> I've just been doing
this very thing today, and have a couple things to
> add to what
Mike says.

>   1. You don't generally need to take ALL
of the ablative paint off.  If
> it's building up over time, maybe
you're painting the bottom too often.
>   I just smooth it down,
and put a new coat on top.

>   2. Have the beers while
you're doing the job.  They're not enough
> afterwards--at least,
not at my age.  Have a couple scotches, instead.
> Scotch is
really good for sore muscles and joints.

>   - George
[as I hobble over to the cabinet for another scotch]

Mike Lehman wrote:
>> I have found that ablative bottom paints
can be scrubbed off. At
>> least that is true for Microm CSC.
It is real messy, and takes a long
>> time...but get a garden
hose, wet the area, and hand scrub (did I
>> tell you it was
hard too?) the area. Once a slurry starts to develop,
>> rinse
the area and continue to scrub until you see gelcoat. I use a
>> barbeque scrubber. It leaves the area under your boat 'painted'
with
>> the wash, but there is no dust, but you do get tired
and wet. Then

From: tedliszczak at metrocast.net

>>> Any suggestion for removing 20 years of ablative copper
bottom paint.
>>> The concerns I have are environmental,
personal health, and either
>>> chemical or mechanical
methods. What has worked best, quickest with the
>>> least
personal toxicity.

> --

>    When I remember bygone days                         George
Dinwiddie
gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
       http://www.Alberg30.org
>    So many I love were not yet
born.                          also see:
Middle' by Ogden Nash     http://idiacomputing.com

> These businesses
support your Association:

> Please support