[Public-List] Groton, CT 8/21

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 18:48:23 PDT 2009

Sandy and I are tied up at the Submarine Base here.  Barry Miller, who has been traveling with us, is in a commercial marina in New London.  We are waiting out "Bill" whose latest track has him clear of the US, but Long Island Sound is going to be nasty through Sunday.  Our current thinking is to enjoy an extended Lay Day and let the seas subside.  http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/330.html

We left Scituate with light winds, but good visability.  Did put the sails up but didn't get any measurable lift.  During the run down to the Cape Cod Canal, no whales, but several schools of new born sharks - interesting to see.  The Canal was with the current and timed for slack for entering Onset, where we did laundry and ate at Marc Anthony's Pizza.  The next day was planned for Cuttyhunk, but because of "Bill" we made the run to the Point Judith Harbor of Refuge.  For most of the trip visability was under 100 yards and the radio was quite busy.
We anchored in the harbor, along with a dozen other boats without seeing anything.  This morning we could see the shore and breakwater.

Had one close encounter - the Block Island High Speed Ferry.  He does not care about visability (or rules of common sense or good seamanship etc, just his schedule.  To prevent this from becoming a rant, it is exciting to be passed at 30 knots, 300 yards and not see a thing.

>From the Harbor of Refuge is was another motor in the fog until we got into Fishers Island Sound (near Mystic Seaport).  Then it cleared and we continued to Groton.

S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.

George C. Marshall