[Public-List] Mast Heads for the Alberg Internal halyards and the racing rules ~ Parameter suggestions

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Feb 21 13:56:15 PST 2009

Michael, et al

May I make a suggestion for your consideration

I agree with what you have to say about taking time to review and
grandfathering - very prudent

May I suggest, that the drag or less drag caused by halyards is not terribly
significant whereas what is significant more so is driving away competitors.

As these boats age and masts fail for whatever reason and are replaced,
section size, weight, wall thickness and stick rigidity are much more
significant issues. Nobody manufactures A-30 sections anymore and the last
sections were cut up years ago by Whitby to become Mizzen Booms for the
Whitby 42 when people stopped buying new A-30's.

Therefore, any new mast will out of necessity be somewhat different.

May I suggest defining the limits and parameter range tolerance of
acceptable replacement mast section replacement standards is a priority.
Focus should be on material (aluminum), section size, weight, wall
thickness, stick rigidity, taper "0", length, number of spreaders, length of
spreaders, shroud diameter, attachment points and will require a reasonable
tolerance range as there will likely be more than one supplier.

If not, in the extreme, one could put in a bendy carbon mast and
undersectioned shrouds and gain a huge advantage.

Personally, I don't think internal shrouds really make that much difference
and can be nulled even more with externals by going to a wire rope halyard.

Just suggestions

Best all

John