[Public-List] comments on mounting an outboard?

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Wed May 6 08:51:20 PDT 2009

There are some good posts on this subject in the archives, including practical one concerning problems exiting Oakville harbour on Lake Ontario owing to slop from the open lake.

Our A30 #319 which we acquired last spring in Fairport Harbor Ohio came with a somewhat functioning A4 as well as with a stern mounted new 6 HP Nissan long shaft outboard.  During our midnight departure from Fairport Harbor, swells on Lake Erie were somewhat problematic, until we got clear of the breakwater, hoisted sail and killed the engine! (see GLAA/website newsletter for a report).  We used the outboard going up the Detroit and St. Clair rivers during the delivery last May up to Lion's Head on Georgian Bay, as well as sailing last summer and found it fully satisfactory.   In harbor, lashing the tiller midships Cajun style and steering with the outboard gives good steering and thrust control.

When the breeze gets up, our inclination is to reef and sail rather than fire up the engine.

I suppose that in a jam in a really lumpy sea, the outboard engine might not offer much of a backup propulsion option, leaving the choices of sailing (if the rig is still standing) and/or anchoring.  Under sufficiently dire conditions, I would likely let the outboard roar intermittently as long as its continued use was contributing to safeguarding the vessel (and crew).

I may have a go at getting our A4 running this summer, provided it does not interfere with the sailing.

Cheers,

DFT

P.s.:

OK. A confession might be in order here: I enjoy tinkering with sheet-to-tiller self steering and have had some success sailing off the wind... And our A30 sails herself admirably to windward with the tiller lashed under either mainsail, or foresail or both -- a feature which I take advantage of when raising & reefing my mainsail single handedly.  I usually heave-to to lower the mainsail.