[Public-List] New Hatches

Jeffrey alberg30nh at gmail.com
Wed May 13 03:53:12 PDT 2009

Thanks Everyone.

I used two different surface finishes. First, everything got a couple
of coats of West 207 epoxy. Then I used either a traditional varnish
called Man O' War Spar Varnish :
http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/manowar.jsp or System
Three's clear gloss LPU paint.  The varnish choice was based on what a
friend uses on his Freindship sloop. I know him to be very meticulous
and fussy about hisi varnish and he swears by it. See:
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie/FriendshipSloopBlackStar02?feat=directlink

The toe rails and combings were finished in a few coats of the Clear
LPU: http://www.systemthree.com/p_wr_lpu.asp.  I don't yet know how
this stuff will perform under UV,  but I played around with it before
using it on the boat by painting a few scraps, letting it cure then
abusing it with nails, tools, keys. It's far and above more scratch
resistant than varnish and cures to a flexible yet hard surface. It
also dries very fast, and can be hotcoated within 24 hours with no
sanding.  I was able to do four thick coats within a day on some
things. We'll see how it holds up.  I'd love to get away from the
varnish path.

-Jeff