[Public-List] Cockpit Drain Seacocks

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:52:39 PST 2009

I am considering renewing my Alberg 30 #319's cockpit drain "valves" with seacocks.

This and the routing of cockpit drain hoses to the seacocks/thru fittings has been discussed at some length on the forum.

On the Triton 28 site, one owner's practice when leaving the boat on its mooring is to close one cockpit drain seacock, and to leave the second one open to drain rain from the cockpit.  I suspect that most folks do not ever their cockpit drains.  Certainly my gate valves seem to be frozen open probably for decades now!

Questions:

Does anyone close one or more of their cockpit drain seacocks? Under what conditions (at sea? on a mooring?) and why?

This cruising A30 neophyte thanks you in advance for your forebearance and any advice to be received.

Regards,

David

David Tessier

A30 #319 Trois Bouleaux