[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1619, Issue 2

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Sep 21 12:40:04 PDT 2009

Hi,

I replaced one of my portlights following the instructions at:
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/Portlights/
I used 1/4" acrylic. The first time I did it, I came
back a few days later to find the new window had cracked.
I assumed that I had cut the window slightly too big
(it was a snug fit in the hole in the deckhouse)
and that it had expanded and cracked.
I replaced it again, this time make fairly sure the
new window had a 1/8" clearance from the edges of
the hole. This one also cracked a few days later.

Has anybody had a similar problem?
Should I go back to a 3/16" thick window?
Switch to Lexan?
Bigger clearance around the window?

Stephen
Quasar #495

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn