[Public-List] Deck beam still a little flat.

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Mon Sep 21 10:25:30 PDT 2009

OK, now I get it; you are worried about not getting the alum gusset plate
vertical.  How about adding the same number of layers of FG patches as
tabbing on the face of the wood beam near where the bottom of the new beam
would go; almost like adding shims (or, add actual wood shims).  You could
then mix some peanut butter consistency epoxy (using West, high density
adhesive filler) and apply it to the inside surface of the new beam (perhaps
to the old beam as well) so you get full adhesion between old and new
surfaces.  I did this w/ my Micarta backer plates and used a serrated blade
trowel (like the ones used to lay down floor mastic) to apply the epoxy.  If
both surfaces are sanded, stuff sticks better, particularly to the aluminum
side.  When I did a similar process with my new chain plates, I first
loosely tightened the bolts and did the final, full tighten after the epoxy
set.  Good idea to mask all surfaces and pull the masking off before the
epoxy fully sets.

West has a great book called "Fiberglass Repair & Maintenance" that covers
tabbing.