[Public-List] Help with Trip Planning

Janet Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Sat Jul 10 09:30:55 PDT 2010

Chris... Good luck; I admire your grit.

Those are long jogs but others have done them. Foremost, watch the weather,
and don't be afraid to abort. For your kind of schedule you'll be motoring
all the time, with a little assist from the wind, sometimes, maybe. Have
faith in your engine plus spare gas (diesel?) cans & oil. Anything
requiring spare parts would kill your schedule, anyway. Have unlimited
towing insurance. That first day is probably too long; can you layover
halfway in Atlantic City? Although if you're not singlehanding, you may as
well sail overnight and just stop in Cape May for gas. You do have an
autopilot? You can't make the trip without it singlehanded. Have GPS. You
can laptop navigate with free NOAA charts and the free SeaClear software.
For offshore, an EPIRB never hurts, but you're probably always in VHF range.

It's not clear from your email if you're only planning two days to
Chesapeake City, and then pick up the boat another weekend, or if you're
continuing on to Annapolis. In either case, you don't need to go near
Delaware City. Your legs would be roughly,
Forked River - Cape May 70nm (You deserve a marina in Cape May; reserve one.)
Cape May - Chesapeake City 60nm (nice anchorage, crowded weekends)
Ches City - Annapolis 50nm

Things always take longer than planned. Storms never last, do they?
If I were a betting man...

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181