[Public-List] Cutlass Bearing Flange.

vmarmei vmarmei at axis-design.org
Fri Jul 23 11:03:27 PDT 2010

Second note.... from Willie
  Hold the shaft brass tube tight with a pipe
wrench and prop the wrench handle against the
insides of your boat....cut some proper 2x4 short
pieces of wood  and wedge them in place to hold
the pipe wrench in place....you can also hold the
wrench in place by making a 2x4 fixture to hold
the wrench in place, I did the whole job by
myself and had no problems. The pipe wrench has a
hanging hole on the handle....you can build a
simple wood fixture and bolt the wrench handle
right into the wood fixture with a Hex head Lag
bolt. A Lag bolt in this case is better because
you can screw the thing in place with a socket
wrench and a long extention. (Make sure you have
a nice pot magnet hanging on a piece of line to
retrive any tool,sockets droped into the bilge).

To re-affix the housing use standard SS Hex head
bolts.....same size or 1/2 inch longer....you
have to re drill carefully a deeper hole and
re-tap.....first you use a standard tap and then
you use a bottoming tap to take advantage of the
full bolt thread length. Use liberal amount of
Boat Caulk inside the housing cavity.... on bolt
thread holes/smear with finger on thread and
bottom of hole...caulk under the bolt head and you will have no problems.
To tighten the bolts do not use any 50 or 100
ft/lb torgue wrench....The standard wrench handle
is designed just to the right length for a person
to use......if you tighten the bolts to your own
elbow and arm strength .....you are always
OK....Do not over tighten......Especially in
Fiber glass..... a stripped thread has to be
re-epoxied and re-tapped .....this whole thing
boils down to common sense....thread
slowly....keep it simple and use ones head.
This ft/lb torque business is for astronauts,
racing car engine re builders, wind mill
manufacturers but not for installing a shaft
housing on an Albergs fiber glass....an
overtightend bolt does not make the situation
stronger....the number of bolts does......Now,do
we need all that strength ??  The back end of our
beloved Alberg is close to 4 inches of solid fiber glass.
Villo-A30-KC