[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1833, Issue 1

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 06:33:10 PDT 2010

Greg,

I am interested in whisker poles...

Spinnaker pole:

The spinnaker pole (alu tube, tapered wood end pieces, bronze fittings) that came with our #319 is 2.5 inches diameter and 11.75 feet long.  I once measured the wall thickness of the aluminum tube but cannot find the result in my notes; from memory I seem to recall 0.125 inch, but I would not take this to the bank.  Rigrite's webpage has some recommendations for spinnaker/whisker pole diameter sizing as a function of boat length.  It is my understanding that different pole diameters and wall thicknesses can be compared by calculating the "second moment" which simple formula is easily found online; when the poles are made of the same material, material properties are not required for comparison purposes.

Whisker pole:

I have used my spinnaker pole (fully supported) to pole out my 140% Genoa in light winds and find it to be too short.  So I take a few turns on the furler to make the Genoa smaller -- precisely what I do not want to do in light breezes.  Since my sanity depends in part on keeping the boat moving in light breezes, I have been looking at longer pole options for light conditions.  Some of these are not up to high traditional standards, so I will not inflict my 3 or 4 candidate approaches on this forum!  Rigrite's webpage has some recommendations for whisker pole length as do Forespar. The general view seems to be that the whisker pole should be about the length of the foot of the Genoa, which is about 18 feet in my case. I suspect that a pole 2-3 feet shorter than this might do the job, but I need to confirm this geometrically at the dock one calm day.

So far I have only poled out the Genoa in light following winds. In stronger breezes I either bear up a little and have both mainsail/Genoa on the same side, or sail under one sail. (rip roaring sail under mains'l across Lake St. Clair whilst bringing #319 from Fairport Harbor OH to Georgian Bay).   HOWEVER, I suspect that my future may bring multi-day passages with moderate or stronger following winds.  Having a suitably sized (adjustable) and strong whisker pole would enable me to sail more nearly dead downwind, and flying an appropriate amount of sail.  I am weighing this eventuality in my selection of whisker pole options.

I would greatly appreciate learning from any experience with whisker pole length and conditions for use.

Cheers,

David