[Public-List] Re-wiring

gregr at nethere.com gregr at nethere.com
Sun Oct 3 20:23:49 PDT 2010

I've rewired my entire boat except for the engine and mast. All the advice
about crimps etc is spot on IMLTHO. Two things I'll add are:

1. Ancor has charts for figuring out what size of wire to use for each run.
DO NOT guess how long the run is; you will be wrong. Run a fish tape or
test wire and measure it. A run is measured from the battery, to the
breaker panel, out to the device, back to the panel, and finally, back to
the battery.

2. Home Depot carries flexible conduit in orange and blue. Orange is for DC
and Blue is for AC. It works well if you plan things out and don't try to
make sharp bends. The conduit will bend but it become really hard to do the
wire pulls if it's bent too much. Leave gaps for drainage. Two cool things
about the conduit. The AC and DC circuits are clearly separated. When I
want to add a circuit I just pull the wire. I don't have twenty plus zip
ties to cut and replace. The wire is also support along it's entire length
as opposed to just at the tie bases. (Ok, so that three things...)

Greg

S/V Ayla