[Public-List] Marisel #385

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 11 05:21:14 PDT 2011

Good morning -

Congratulations on what sounds like a huge rebuild!

If you are getting to turquoise green in your bottom job, I think you are
way past the gel coat and are into the polyester laminates.  The colour is
the giveaway.

It sounds like there has been some sort of corrosive solvent at work under
your cockpit - if you are seeing 'string' under the cockpit laminates, that
indicates that the polyester resin is gone and all you are left with is the
remains of the matt.  You should most certainly wet this with epoxy and
after you feel you've regained integrity a layer of new cloth and epoxy
isn't a bad idea.  Are there any signs of compromise in the hull laminates
in there?  I've never seen this sort of issue except where solvents
(including gasoline) have been spilled in quantity.

I'm no authority with regard to engine/shaft issues, I'll leave that for
others to comment on.

Cheers - Gord #426 Surprise