[Public-List] Packing Gland Hose

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Thu Oct 13 20:59:34 PDT 2011

On Oct 13, 2011, at 10:50 PM, randall weatherspoon wrote:

> - I have everything except the hose from the shaft log to the packing
> gland----Smallest is  HO 150 --- loose on the packing gland but enough clamp
> and I can get it ~tight  --- but the shaft log is way too loose-----

Randall,

Not sure if your boat is the same, but on mine, #221, the OD of the shaft log was quite a bit smaller than the OD of the stuffing box.  A problem.  The hose that came on the boat was all puckered up where the hose clamps held it onto the shaft log.  Not cool. Here is what I did to solve that:

The part of the stuffing box where the hose fits on was a thick bronze casting - and not all that smooth on the outside either.  I turned it down on a lathe until it exactly fit a 1-3/8  ID hose.  There was still plenty of "meat" to the stuffing box. At that point the stern tube OD was only just barely 1/16" smaller, which was easily accommodated just by tightening a hose clamp (but not making the hose pucker like the original setup did).  This worked out very well.

One additional note: The smallest made-to-be-stuffing-box-hose I could find was 1-1/2" ID.  The setup in my A-30 required 1-3/8" ID.  I went with the highest quality reinforced wet-exhaust hose I could get (Trident being one example of a quality hose maker), which of course does come in 1-3/8"  (<---- This last paragraph is correct to the best of my memory, but I will double check it and post back if there is a discrepancy)

Rachel
ex-#221