[Public-List] Grey Marine timing...backfiring

rixquik at yahoo.com rixquik at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 08:46:16 PDT 2011

I've still got my Atomic 4 and have never even seen a Grey, but it seems odd to me that the timing could get that far out of whack so quickly. Unless the distributor hold-down clamp is just sloppy loose, timing tends to drift very slowly (if at all) and timing-related engine performance changes rather gradually. From the sound of it I would recommend verifying that the spark plug wires match the firing sequence. If they're out of synch it can result in a lack of firing with periodical backfiring. It's an easy mistake to make and equally easy to remedy. It would explain the symptoms. By the way, in engine-geek lingo, your engine is turning over but not firing.  "Turning over" refers to it's ability to actually rotate, without reference to whether or not ignition is taking place.

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121
Monterey, California