[Public-List] Alberg vs Beneteau

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Wed Apr 4 16:11:43 PDT 2012

Stephen Gwyn wrote:
> I used to live in the South of France. I have
> been sailing in late April. We rented a terrible
> Beneteau something. We left Marseilles and
> into a hefty head wind and ended up being blown
> back to this island nearby. The next day it
> was blowing worse so we stayed put. The next
> there was no wind but a lot of chop so
> motored nauseatingly to the next harbour.
> Last day ditto, so we motored with slightly
> less nausea back to Marseilles. And this
> wasn't even the famed Mistral.

Stephen,

Because the comparison of a Beneteau 355 (and a First 345) to Alberg
boats came up on conversation recently, I was wondering if you'd care to
comment if you think on those days you would have fared better/been more
comfortable on an A-30 than that Beneteau.  Are you saying that had you
had an Alberg, you think you would have made it to your destination the
first day or found the motoring more pleasant the third day, based on
your experience sailing the two boats?

I had a rather heated conversation with a colleague after a friend of
mine contacted me essentially from 'at sea' after handling a Beneteau in
8 foot seas to tell me (in his disgust) that "there is no comparison."

Thanks,

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea