[Public-List] Boom End

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Dec 17 06:23:42 PST 2012

HI Clayton,

If your boom is like mine, it was likely built by my late Uncle Con Costas
at Tom Taylor Company.  His old rigging loft, and the company itself, are
both long closed.

Your question brings up something I've been thinking about for some time.
The aluminium casting in the end of our booms was designed to cope with the
long discredited roller reefing boats in the '60's were fitted with.  The
mainsheet hangs from a single bolt cantilevered in the end of the boom,
through the casting.  One would not normally stake all on a single bolt, but
this compromise was accepted to make the roller reefing work.

In SURPRISE, we slab reef, so there's no reason to keep the old
configuration.   I have for some time been considering drilling through the
extrusion and casting at the end of the boom horizontally, and fitting a
large stainless steel bale from which to hang the main sheet.  It's still
only one bolt, but in a stronger configuration.

Has anyone else done or thought about this?

Gord #426 Surprise