[Public-List] Boom End

Randy Whitney moiraeiii at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 07:36:51 PST 2012

I removed mine at haul out this year for a different reason. I wanted to
inspect the bolt and to interface the boom with an extension to provide a
ridge pole for my winter cover. After 25+ years, who would have 'thunk it'?
After much ruminating and considering Gord's suggestion, I am going to 'put
her back the way she was'. The reason (s)?

   -  I don't think it is an improvement over what has served adequately
   since 1967
   - The tang, not the boom, is the link connecting the topping lift to the
   traveler when the main is furled.
   - I sail with the topping lift loose, but connected, thinking it will
   act as a preventer if the main halyard should part.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there appeared to be zero ware
on any of the surfaces and only a bit of surface oxidation after 45 years.
Caveat: My boat is fresh water sailed.

Randy
MOIRAEIII #283

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> wrote:

> HI Clayton,
>
> If your boom is like mine, it was likely built by my late Uncle Con Costas
> at Tom Taylor Company.  His old rigging loft, and the company itself, are
> both long closed.
>
> Your question brings up something I've been thinking about for some time.
> The aluminium casting in the end of our booms was designed to cope with the
> long discredited roller reefing boats in the '60's were fitted with.  The
> mainsheet hangs from a single bolt cantilevered in the end of the boom,
> through the casting.  One would not normally stake all on a single bolt,
> but
> this compromise was accepted to make the roller reefing work.
>
> In SURPRISE, we slab reef, so there's no reason to keep the old
> configuration.   I have for some time been considering drilling through the
> extrusion and casting at the end of the boom horizontally, and fitting a
> large stainless steel bale from which to hang the main sheet.  It's still
> only one bolt, but in a stronger configuration.
>
> Has anyone else done or thought about this?
>
> Gord #426 Surprise
>

> On 17/12/12 12:29 AM, "Clayton Zimmerman" <cb_zimmerman at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Hello all. Work is progressing well on Tanager #349. Thanks to some great
> > suggestions from members the new rig is in the mail from RiggingOnly.com.
> > Their customer service is stellar. I'm having trouble finding a new cap
> for
> > the end of the boom that the main sheet attaches to (RigRite doesn't
> seem to
> > be jiving with the measurements I give them, but if anyone knows the
> make and
> > model of our boom, that'd totally work). Does anyone have a good source
> or
> > something else they've done with this?
> > As always, thank you.
> > ClaytonS/V Tanager #349www.optimisticwanderings.tumblr.com

*God, if I can’t have what I want, let me want what I have.*