[Public-List] Salsa's Indian Ocean Passage Report

Kirk Little kirkalittle at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 02:55:24 PST 2012

I apologize for so many long postings monopolizing the public list here however I just updated my website with a fairly comprehensive report on my passage from Cocos Keeling to Madagascar, 28 days and 3000 miles in mostly moderate to rough conditions.  Anyone who wants to know what it 'feels' like sailing an Alberg 30 in these conditions solo might enjoy the long report, as I wrote a good part of it underway and 'in the moment'. I think it makes a good read if I may say so myself, but a bit lengthy to post here (5 pages on MS word).  So I'll just post part of the first paragraph and the link below if you want to read the full report.  As always, happy to hear any feedback or questions as I finally am enjoying a reliable internet connection on the boat for the first time in years!  Cheers -Kirk

          LONG INDIAN OCEAN PASSAGE REPORT COCOS KEELING TO MADAGASCAR.
Aug 13 2011, 930 am departing Cocos keeling.   The weather was
borderline “sailable” at the time I left, being very light winds and
somewhat variable, most boats deemed it to be ‘unsailable’ and it
probably was in their bigger yachts which require a bit more of a breeze
 than little Salsa.  Then again as I write this, 48 hours into the trip
the wind and seas are so big I would consider it ‘barely sailable’ in
Salsa and the other boats would be flying along having a ball, albeit I
suspect with at least a bit of discomfort.  Right now the seas are
around 10 to 15 feet high, and the winds 25 to 35kts.  It’s just pure
crap out here.  It’s been so cloudy and rainy I haven’t seen the moon or
 sun since the day I departed until now.  When I left there was a slight
 breeze from the north and as I was sailing west, it was perfect; just
barely enough wind to fill the sails and keep them from slapping around
in the big but gentle southerly swell that just never goes away, even
when there is no wind.  This Northerly breeze (a bit unusual as we
should have SE trade winds around 20kts or so I thought) kept going
until around 9PM when it just got too light, I was only sailing at 3kts
and the sails started to bang around too much to make any headway.  So I
 prepared to just drift a while, well actually we kept sailing more or
less west but only at about 1 to 2 kts since I put 3 reefs in the main
and nearly took down the Jib to protect the sails from all the banging
around with no wind, however there was just enough wind to keep moving
under reefed sail, and I went to sleep for a while.  After midnight I
awoke to the GPS alarm telling me that I was off course and turns out
the winds had finally gone back to the SE, but still at a miserly 10kts.
  Even with the main deeply reefed I let out most of the genoa and we
were making 4kts again, not bad, and then it started building, the wind
and seas.  By morning conditions were very uncomfortable..... <more at SailingSalsa.com or the link below>

http://www.sailingsalsa.com/long-indian-ocean-passage-report-cocos-keeling-to-madagscar#more-474

Kirk Little, Salsa, #504, Cape Town South Africa.