[Public-List] going solo

David Terrell dterrell1 at charter.net
Tue Jun 5 06:06:48 PDT 2012

Jeff

Exiting the slip: assuming you enter the slip bow forward, is the
departure  to port or starboard? If to port prop walk is in your favor.
My teachers instructed me to get the boat moving in reverse before
starting to turn. Once the boat starts to turn, you can put the trottle
in neutral and the boat will go for a while. It may need a shot of power
again to get all the way around, especially if the wind is blowing
strongly onto your slip. I back to port and use my aft dock line as a
spring line. When I have had to back to starboard, all goes well as long
as I get the boat powered up. My experience suggests not being bashful
when it comes to initial power on departure. It is really important not
to stall the rudder. This means not putting the rudder over more than 35
degrees. You can mark this location on the cockpit using a protractor -
mine is not left over from HS plane geometry.

Back and filling: If you get into the fairway the wrong way - stern
pointing to the channel, you can back and fill. Here is how I do it. I
get on the side of the fairway where I can turn to starboard(for me this
means being in the "wrong lane". I turn slowly to starboard. After the
boat is turning and "approaching" the your side of the faiway, put the
engine in reverse. do not change the speed. The aft end of the will
swing around and you then can leave the fairway going forward. Depending
on the width of the area you are working in you may have to use reverse
gear more than once. I suggest you go out to where you sail and practice
this technique for an  hour or so to get use to how the boat works and
you are comfortable with the process.

Entering the slip bow first. I have found that the most important thing
is to go very slow as you move down the fairway. I have also found that
It is better to make a sharp rather than shallow turn when entering the
slip. In my case entering the slip with a northeast and south east wind
is easy: the wind puts me on the dock. Noth wind is easy too, because I
am docking directly into the wind. Likewise direct south winds - that
need some reverse to slow  the boat.  The most challenging docking for
me is southwest because it wants to blow me off the dock. I use extra
power here to keep control and make sure I get a sharp angle to enter
the slip.

Retraining Lines. Docking is easier if you have a bridle. this is a
triangle shaped set of lines run from your dock to the pier and the
aftpiling. This prevents me from siiding into my neighbors very
expensive wood boat(the name is pretty grand), especially in south west
winds. It is worth its price in gold and insurance premiums. Other
people in our marina string a single line between the pier side piling
and the inside water piling. This also works very well.

Sources;
Jack Klang: Cruisinng with Quantum - available from QuantumSails. The
intenational Headquarters is in Traverse City, where I live. The book is
spiral bound and 77 pages and deals especially with singlehanded
docking.

Jack Klang: Single handed docking and sail trim with Jack Klang. This is
a video. It  is out of print, but I have a local source that has several
on hand. The price is $25.00 plus shipping. it is Boating R US on the
internet. You could orded from them or I could get a copy and send it to
you.

USPS - The Unites States Power Squadron has an excellent video on
docking as part of its Seminar Series. I do not know if you can purchase
the whole series - it is a set of seminars on a single video. In additon
the Sail text book has some excellent pages on docking. I have a copy -
also teach the course - and I would be glad to send copies to you via
snail mail. Just send me  your address and they are yours.

If you use garhauer equipment, running lines back does not have to
brake/break your wallet, especially if you wanted to start with just the
main halyard. I have done a fair amount of this

Getting in and out of the slip single handed is fairly easy, best
practiced in low wind at first.

I hope this helps.

David, 432