[Public-List] inner staysl shown on original Whitby Brochure??

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sat Mar 10 01:50:59 PST 2012

Gord, That was pretty much North's assessment at the time. Marginal sail at
best with extremely limited range of use and not worth the effort as a spinn
staysl.

As for a storm jib use, that's a lot of reengineering: likely involving a
laminated beam under the deck to prevent side loading or twisting;

glassing a knee to the stem;

and some kind of rod attachment that goes through the deck without putting
any pulling load on the deck;

Great source of leaks of water into the core sooner or later;

some kind of highfield lever to make it removable, because it would make
tacking the genoa just about impossible if permanent;

running back stays to support the mast if its below the mast head.

Adds a fair amount of weight and top hamper, not sure its worth the expense
and effort when a perfectly good forestay is a couple or 3 feet away.

Just sayin'

ATB

John