[Public-List] Yamar 2cyl 15hp

Robert Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Thu Mar 15 12:58:50 PDT 2012

Mike... I wouldn't worry about the alternator load in any case. On a very
low battery, it's putting out about 25 amps - which is all a 100 Amp-hr
battery can take. So, 25 amps X 13 Volts X 2 [wild guess 50%
mechanical/electric efficiency- probably conservative) / 746 (Watts/HP =
7/8 of a horsepower. That's not much of an extra push. Plus, if you turned
off the alternator, you've still got some mechanical friction load left.

In the more likely event in your example below where you are normal
steaming with a battery  not fully discharged, you are probably only
drawing 5 amps from the alternator to maintain charge [check your ammeter
gage], so with the same arithmetic, you are only drawing about a fifth of a
horsepower. Not worth the trouble of turning off.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181