[Public-List] Yamar 2cyl 15hp

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Mon Mar 19 15:16:28 PDT 2012

On Mar 13, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Jim Davis wrote:

> I don't know of any, but there are quite a few with 2GMs.  A couple things to consider:
> The existing beds will have to be redone.  If it is an older boat the footprint is actually for a Gray Sea Scout.  When Whitby changed to the Atomic 4 they made steel brackets to adapt the A4 to the Sea Scout mounts.

A couple of notes:

1) On my (ex) boat, #221, which came with (and still had) an Atomic Four, the beds were made of molded fiberglass and not adapted Greymarine beds (I have seen earlier boats that came with a Greymarine and the mounts were different/wider).  I don't know exactly when the change occurred, but I have seen other similar-vintage A-30's with the fiberglass A-4 mounts like mine were.  Maybe there were some transitional mounts when the Atomic Four was first coming in; that seems probable.

2) With the fiberglass beds, I have read (and having played around with them, I thoroughly believe it) that they are not of suitable stiffness/fortitude to deal with the increased vibration and stress from a diesel.  So even with special engine mounts (like you can get from Beta), I'm not sure I would try to re-use the fiberglass A-4 beds for a diesel re-power.

Rachel
ex-#221