[Public-List] Circumnavigations

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Fri Oct 19 12:43:31 PDT 2012

Circumnavigation is indeed an accomplishment, but defining it as such is
to a point arbitrary.

Stripped to it's basics, such a trip can be nothing more than a series
of shorter blue water voyages strung together.  If a person crosses the
Atlantic Ocean 20 times, have they really accomplished less than a
circumnavigator?

Technically, a circumnavigation much touch antipodal points.  If a trip
crosses all lines of longitude, every ocean, encompasses a "sufficient"
number of nautical miles to have gone all the way around, but does not
touch diametrically opposite points, it's not the true circle.  Do such
skippers accomplish less?

Are you talking about "non-stop" circumnavigators, solo
circumnavigators, solo-non-stop, etc?  Do we need special sections to
delineate these different "levels" of the accomplishment?

Food for thought...

John

--
John S. Riley