[Public-List] prop hitting rudder

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Oct 27 10:25:33 PDT 2012

Clayton

On 10/27/12 10:24 AM, Clayton Zimmerman wrote:

> Kirk, jumping on here, yes, I too have the prop-to-rudder contact
> issue. You can see a few pics of the damage from 2 months of learning
> the boat at: www.optimisticwanderings.tumblr.com Essentially the prop
> is shaving the rudder.
 >
> Tanager, #349 was re-powered with a 35hp Yanmar diesel. An engine
> that big requires a larger prop......what do you have for power?
> Interestingly, while doing 6kts and freewheeling, I can't seem to get
> the prop to touch the rudder no matter how hard I pull the rudder
> over......... I'm in the process of re-glassing the damage and will
> have pics up soon. For the meantime I've just become REALLY aware of
> the danger and have managed to avoid further shavings.

On
http://optimisticwanderings.tumblr.com/post/34066669524/making-it-happen
and http://optimisticwanderings.tumblr.com/post/32122840821/hauling-out
it looks like your prop is further aft than mine.

You can see on
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Zincs/ that my
prop hub is very close to the cutless bearing housing. On all of the
rudders on http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderVarieties/
the prop seems more centered in the aperture.

Was the prop shaft changed when the engine was changed?

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org