[Public-List] Rudder Shoe

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Sep 19 17:55:40 PDT 2012

Jeffrey,

On 9/19/12 7:43 PM, Jeffrey wrote:
> Yes Thanks Peter!
>
> I too am in for one. I don't need one of the first since my boat will
> be in the water for another month at least.  Next batch?
>
> Question for everyone, I don't even have a pintle on my rudder.  Was
> it just a bronze rod protruding from the bottom of the rudder? Does
> the hole in the shoe go all the way through? The shoe does not "hole
> up" the rudder..correct? Does it act as more then a rotational guide?

See http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderShoe/ for the
details. If your rudder was like mine, you can drill and tap for a
rudder pin. It could be that it was already drilled and tapped, and
you've got the remains of a pin in there.

The pin not only guides the rotation, but holds the bottom of the rudder
laterally. If you don't have it, other parts will wear out more quickly
and you could possibly lose the rudder.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org