[Public-List] iPhone AIS receiver

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Mon Sep 24 08:06:23 PDT 2012

Although I firmly agree with John and  Larry's Amen, I have a little
story from the Queenstown race that says something for GPS.

I was singlehanding home from Queenstown yesterday. We had to tack down
the Chester until we could round the red nun at Love Point.
I had some sail repair issues, and had to switch jibs mid race, so
suffice it to say I was way behind.   My little handheld GPS was not
functioning, but I thought I knew where I was and where I was going. As
I finally got within about 1.5 miles of the turn, I spotted the red nun,
and I concentrated on my tell tales, occasionally coming up to the high
side. The wind was variable, and it seemed every time I looked at the
mark it was abeam, and I just had to keep  steady on the wind to get to
the layline.  This went on for almost 45 minutes - I thought maybe the
current was the problem, but I was moving on the land - I just could not
reach that layline.  I finally got out binoculars and it turned out I
was trying to make a sailboat with a bright red sail on the other side
of the bay!

Mike
Rinn Duin #272