[Public-List] Jib tack shackle

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Aug 6 12:45:24 PDT 2013

Those are good shackles

Those shackles were original equipment in our boats.  They were supplied to
Whitby BW by the venerable Tom Taylor Co. of Toronto.  Taylor's is long
gone, but the gear is still available through other sources (like my
company.  I worked at Taylor's for it's last decade, and have built my
operation based on what I liked best about the old company)

Normally one considers stainless steel more brittle...bronze more resilient.
Bronze does however become work hardened (not as easily as SS) and can
fracture after long use.

When a boat is pitching there would be fairly enormous load cycles on the
shackles at the top and bottom of a headsail.  If you replace the shackle
you had with a similar one you'll likely get another half century of service
from it.

Gord #426 Surprise