[Public-List] Nylon vs. Dacron rope?

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 25 13:24:03 PST 2013

Merry Christmas!

I have a number of lines that came with my boat years ago that I am trying
to sort through this winter.  Most of the are easy to identify in terms of
material, construction, and use, but a couple have me baffled.  There are 3
in particular that I am not sure if they are nylon or low-stretch Dacron.
These are white 3-strand twisted construction, 3/8" or 7/16" diameter.  One
has a snap shackle spiced into one end.  I think some of these might be a
spinnaker pole lift and/or guy (my boat came with a spinnaker but the pole
is long gone and I never tried to sort ought the set up).  Is there an easy
way to tell what material these are made of?  Or should I just cut the
shackle off, and use the rest to hang fenders, etc.?

Thanks!

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229