[Public-List] Rudder Post Bearing

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 18:10:54 PST 2013

Hi Todd,

sounds like the packing gland material in your rudder post stuffing box is dried out or wasted.  First step is to try to tightened up the nut at the top of the bronze fitting surrounding the rudder post, located under the the cockpit floor, aft endow the cockpit.  Of the packing material is still good, tightening the nut will compress the packing material and stop the leak.  Probably the packing material is old and wasted, hence in need of replacement.  If so, you will need to back the nut off the top of the gland and dig out the old packing material, and replace with maybe 9" or a foot length of new square packing material.  Wrap three turns of material around the shaft, press it down into side the housing and tighten the nut back down.  You should crank it down so it fits snugly and compresses the gland material until it doesn't leak when underway.  You will probably be surprised how many turns you must turn down the nut to stop the water from coming up the shaft.   I certainly was when I replaced the material on my oat a few years ago.   If I remember correctly, you will need 1/4" square material- there are several different widths.

Best,
Glenn Brooks
S/V Dolce #318

Sent from my iPad