[Public-List] Engine performance question

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Jul 16 07:27:29 PDT 2013

Thanks fellows -

The fuel filter was changed last year...but this spring I had to do a carb
cleaning job in order to get the engine going.  I'll change the filter.

The filter on the flame arrester is several years old...  But there's no
smoke so I think the problem may be upstream of the carb in the fuel
system... Or a spec of dirt in the carb (again)

I'm getting really fast doing carb jobs....

I'll write how this shakes out.

On 16/07/13 10:22 AM, "Michael Connolly" <crufone at comcast.net> wrote:

Gord,

Another thing you might check is the flame arrester on the carb air
> intake.  D oes she produce some black smoke? A restriction on the intake will
> cause her to run a bit rich.  The other's suggestions are for running to lean
> and not powering up because of poor fuel quality. Also c heck fuel filter if
> you have on in the fuel line to carb. Does your fuel tank have a drain as
> well?  Pull the plug and check to see if water and crud comes out.

Could be
> either one, rich or lean. Lean would not produce black smoke in exhaust.

Michael