[Public-List] Holding tank vent

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Mar 4 13:57:27 PST 2013

Randy,

On 3/4/13 4:00 PM, Randy Katz wrote:
> Greetings, Glen,
>
> I ran my vent tubes (2 of them) from the holding tank (in the same location
> as yours) through the bulkhead and up into the dorade over the toilet. No
> bad smells fliter back to the cockpit. The photo in the A30 collection of
> ideas and photos shows vents at the bow, forward-- what about water coming
> down them during heeling?

I've never had any trouble with water in the vents. I used standard
right-angle fuel vents (one was already there from the Mansfield TDX
installation done by the previous owner) and have them angled down and
aft. The bow is pretty high, and the cockpit goes under long before the
bow does due to heeling. Sometimes the cockpit dips when crashing
through waves, but the angle of the vents doesn't seem to pick up any water.

Of course, if they did, it would likely just drain into the tank. I
worked hard to eliminate any low spots where water could collect.

Putting both vents in the same place would seem to me to be ineffective
for setting up a flow of fresh air. I've had lots of conversations with
Peggie Hall (who has sailed on Calypso, BTW) and she recommended the
strategy of venting on each side of the hull.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org