[Public-List] Insulating the icebox

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Thu Mar 14 06:26:38 PDT 2013

How big a block of ice and what weather?

I ask because I added insulation (regular blue foam from Lowe's) to our
liner boat's ice box and we have gotten 7-14 days in 90+ degree outside
temperature days (inside boat hotter still).  That's using 3 6qt solid
blocks and a bag or so of crushed to filled the gaps.

A know another cruiser on a Rhodes Meridian 26 who gets 14+ days out of
the block ice in his beefed up ice box as well.

Point is...with a well insulated box, block ice lasting times can be
measured in weeks, not days.

Tips we used that help also: Fill the box. If not with food or ice, then
with newspaper or SOMETHING.  We also stuffed / packed along the top,
just before closing the lid, a spread out mylar reflective blanket (a
cheapo camping emergency blanket).  The box was judiciously not opened
any more than absolutely necessary...once or AT MOST twice per day.  A
smaller cooler used to store stuff for the day helps.  If one is opening
the lid every time you want a cold drink, efficiency is lost.

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea