[Public-List] New furler needed, recommendations? Get a Schaeffer - period, full stop ; )

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Dec 10 20:04:45 PST 2014

Hey Michael and all,

Yep,  on Dolce, once I set up the forestay, it's good for the season.  the only real difficulty with a Harken, is one can't inspect the turnbuckle or rigging.  I like to look at the turnbuckles and rigging periodically to see if they are still there.

I have a Harken and a North 140 Genoa combination, and hav't noticed any difficulty reefing to any desired sail area.  Also haven't noticed any unmanageable problems with sail shape, as when I roll it up to handkerchief size its blowing more than 25' knots and I am already at least double reefed in the main anyway,  just slogging along with no real expectation of making stiff upwind progress.

As someone mentioned previously, one thing North sails does to retain airfoil shape - and this is more a function of the sail cut, not the roller furling design, is sew a baggy bunch of rope into the luff.  This rope mass is tapered at the pointy ends (head and tack for the more nautical inclined) and doubled up in the middle of the Genoa.   This  seems to work well on Dolce when I am racing against seagulls, but I have no idea about how one might gain or loose against another boat.  I am not a racer by nature and don't typically race anyone unless I am already dead sure I can beat them before throwing down the gauntlet, so to speak.  And certainly not in 25 knots or better, which is only when this would be an issue to begin with.  north Sails did tell me once their big genoas are only designed to be flown with three or four wraps or less, just because of the air foil issue.  However, I've found my Genoa and roller furling combination have a lot of utility at the higher wind speeds, and wouldn't hesitate to take it off shore for the fabled world cruise.

The only disadvantage I can see to roller furling is that once wind picks up over 30 or 35 kts, you are pretty much done with the sail.  Its either all wrapped up on the roller or just a barn door out there on the bow, obstructing my view. I did install a Solent stay for such an eventuality, to which I can hank a working jyb or a storm sail.  Also I use the Solent to hank on a second big Genoa for twin down wind sailing, in lieu of those no account devil spinnakers that I keep permanently buried in the hanging locker with an oaken stake through their hearts.  (The boat has been haunted by two of these spineless demons for years, can't get rid of em for some reason).   So effectively have two headsail options with hanks, in addition to the roller furling, and the occasional faint moaning from below.

Glenn B
Dolce #318

Sent from my iPad