[Public-List] Inside Cabin - Brown Gue and Mold

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Dec 18 15:38:17 PST 2014

Randy,

On 12/18/14 6:19 PM, randall weatherspoon via Public-List wrote:
> Brown Gue is coming out of the corners of the inside of the cabin.
>
> 1)      What is it - I read it may be the resin coming out - if so what does
> that do to the strength of cabin?

Apparently Whitby used a filler that was not marine grade--something
like bondo. I believe it was used to connect the inner liner to the
cabintop layup. I don't think it provides any structural component.

> 2)      What happens if I clean it up and paint over it? - will it stop?

Maybe. You should also try to halt where the water is getting in that's
leaching the filler out.

> Previous owner apparently painted  inside top of the cabin with some kind of
> paint that is flaking off but not entirely so mold is growing in the little
> cracks between paint and fiberglass - can't seem to kill the mold and am
> afraid that if I Clorox clean and paint that the mold will come through, and
> it is so bad now that I will have to re-fare the roof inside as it is.

Hmmm... Sounds like time for a sander, to me.

> Any experience or comments welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Randy ..Marisel #385

  - George