[Public-List] Starboard plastic for lazarette lids

Randy Katz via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 8 13:24:37 PDT 2014

Greetings, All,

Yes, I replaced my two cockpit lazarette hatches with 1/2" gray Starboard
several years ago. The wood maintenance was a a bit of a pain whereas there
is none with Starboard. (At the same time, I also appreciate those who
prefer the look of wood. The neutral gray, though, offers a nice
contrasting color in itself which I like.)  I also wondered about flexing,
but that has not been an issue; there's been a very slight bit of warping
which isn't a problem apart from causing buzzing sometimes when the
engine's at certain rpms.

The lids are not particularly heavy.

The only problem I've noticed is that in a couple of places where I screwed
SS screws into the outboard edge (off the piano hinge) some small splits
have developed.  Again this isn't a problem, but may result in loosening at
some point. There are, however, several screws on each lid, and they're
holding tightly.

Starboard's not particularly inexpensive, and it may take a bit of shopping
around to find a part of a 4 x 8 sheet that is all required for this
project. The material is easy to cut with a circular and or jig saw.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Randy Katz
Bellingham, Seattle