[Public-List] (no subject)

Glenn Brooks brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Fri Jun 27 06:13:39 PDT 2014

Hi Chris,

Perhaps you have done this already, but if not, take a look at your chainplates bolts and replace the original 1/4" bolts with at least 5/16". The original bolts are known to be undersized and likely to shear off, causing rigging failure.  Drill out the chainplates and reinstall with 5/16 resolves the issue.   Also the forward lower chainplate bulkhead mounts often need extra fiberglass reinforcing for offshore sailing. Wouldn't hurt to inspect the back stay s
Chainplate mount also and make sure the bracket hasn't got water damage , e.g. the plywood inner core not delaminated. The chainplates through the decks consistently leak on my boat, and every several years I recalk them with 5200 or similar.

Sounds like you looked at your rudder.  Did you pull the rudder shoe and determine the pin holding the rudder into the shoe is not worn?

Sounds like you are pretty much ready to go!

Happy cruising!

Regards,
Glenn B.
Dolce 318