[Public-List] Re-bedding cockpit coamings

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Mon Mar 24 08:46:40 PDT 2014

Jon,

After I went through all the trouble of getting my coamings off (they were bedded with some tough black compound), I considered why they were bedded at all. I could see no other reason then to prevent deck water from running behind the coamings & down onto the seats.

With that in mind, when I had refinished the coamings and was ready to re-install them, I bought brown rubber door insulation strips. The kind with a "B" shape, and about 1/8" thick. The flat edge had adhesive with a pull-off tape. I applied these to the fiberglass surfaces which the top of the coamings would bear on when installed. Then I re-bolted the coamings to the boat. That was 8 years ago, and I have had no problems with deck water getting into the cockpit through the coamings.

If I need to replace the rubber strips or refinish the coamings, they will come off easily because the rubber strips have adhesive only on one side.

Jay Davenport
Revolution, A30 #526