[Public-List] Mast

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Nov 29 10:03:11 PST 2014

Hi Randy,

See below for answers to your questions, near as I can remember.  Replaced my masthead sleeve nine years ago. So this might be epic to heroic feat of recall.

BTW,  when I replaced my masthead the rigging shop said I didn't need the large diameter sleeve with the new rope halyards.  They put in standard 4" diameter sheeves and they work very well. As you now have rope, I think you could simply replace  the sheeves with any off the shelf hi strength plastic sleeve and be very happy with the result.  The large diameter was only needed to turn the wire, to keep it from crimping and breaking strands.

Regards
Glenn

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 29, 2014, at 7:01 AM, randall weatherspoon via Public-List <public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:
>
> Glenn - thanks for the information. Yes it is a  wire sheave but previous
> owner had replaced with rope halyard.
>
> On the top sheave did you heat only the bolt head and were their sleeves/
> tubes  between the mast and sheave, perhaps like spacers-can't tell?

Yes, heated mostly the bolt and threaded end, however the heat pretty much transmitted through the bolt.  I vaguely remember the SS bolt had an aluminum sleeve, or sheeves, which was the source of most of the trouble, being corroded to the SS bolt shank.  I think I used map gas, as it burns hotter than propane.  Now I have an acetylene touch and would just use that.  Maybe even not mess around and just cut the bolt head off in the beginning - save half day of grief. The heat expands the metal and helps break loose the corrosion.  Then it also draws the cutting oil into the threads and voids between the bolt and aluminium tubing.  Mostly I think the oil softens the corrosion and lubricates the slip fit when you knock the bolt out.  I don't think the oil actually attacks the physical (chemical?) bond of the white powdery corrosion caused by contact between Ss and Al, unfortunately.  Yet it does help...

> On the spreader bolt- mine  has corroded and looks like aluminum unlike the
> stainless bolt at the mast? -as I understand you just twisted it off and
> punched out the remaining pieces. Did you use any heat there? Was there
> anything inside the mast at the spreader to keep it from collapsing?

No heat on this, just muscle.  I will check with the young guy helping me, to find out if ss or alum bolt. Great guy to have helping me.  Snapped it right off. Everyone was amazed.   I remember it was stainless, but seem to remember an aluminum bolt somewhere through the mast...  Will confirm next week when we return home from vacation.    no inner support on the spreader, the bolt itself provides compression support.  You need to be careful not to over tighten the new one, as it could collapse the mast section.  The rigging shop shaped 24" exterior mast supports both sides of the mast, to stiffen the mast section at the spreaders. They used an old piece of mast section cut in half lengthwise then ground the ends to a taper and shaped to fit. Then riveted them on over the mast.  Bolt through the whole assembly.  Came out perfect.

> Do you remember where you found the replacement sheaves and bolts.

Can't remember who they were.  Seems like the supplier was the original rigging shop that equipped Alberbs for Whidby, and I had their original sleeve brochure on board when I bought the boat.    It was the last on, they had  laying in an old box.  Said they hadn't even seen a sleeve that big in years.

> Do you
> have any pictures of your new mast head,$?

Yes, can send to you next week, when I return home.  Not a real good closeup, but will give you a general idea.

> I would like to ask some other questions if you have time offline~.
> (rlwspoon at earthlink.net)

Sure, I will email my comtact info.

> Thanks again, Randy - Marisel #385
Certainly! Any time.