[Public-List] Electric Drive

Jonathan Bresler via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jul 8 08:58:08 PDT 2015

Richard,

Could you tell us about the Honda generator that you have installed ?
Must admit that I have no plans to make the conversion from diesel to
electric at this time.
The Yanmar 2GM20F installed in #262 purrs along with very, very few hours
on the clock.

Still I am interested in learning more.  Have searched your blog for
information on the generator
but have not found any....perhaps I missed.  Ole eyes aint what they used
to be.

Jonathan

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 8:06 PM, Richard Mair via Public-List <

> We have an electric drive on 609 Into The Blue. We absolutely love it. We
> have the Electric Yacht 100ibl.
> This is actually smaller than the recommended system for our displacement
> but it works great. On the advice of the electric forum we went to a 3
> blade prop.
> Running a 3 blade 13 by 12 we can do 3.3 knots with only 16 amp draw at 48
> volt system. 200 amp hours gives us 5 hours run to 50% discharge. The
> current draw goes up against current. Now that we are day sailing it is
> really nice to be able to start and end trips with no noise and vibration.
> The drawback is range if you are in a hurry but we extended that with a
> Honda generator when coming up the St.Lawrence in 2013.
> Willing to answer any questions you may have. Would never go back to a
> diesel.
> On Jul 6, 2015 10:19 AM, "Andrew Johns via Public-List" <
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Has anyone on the list converted an A30 to electric drive? I'm liking the
> > idea of getting the noisy diesel out of the boat.
> >
> > What sort of experiences have people had?
> >

> > - Andrew
> >
> > 1965 A30 #104 "Ecola"
> > Lake Champlain , VT

Jonathan M Bresler