[Public-List] Hull,deck and toenail juncture

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun May 22 16:17:59 PDT 2016

Wes,

On 5/22/16 6:54 PM, Wes Gardner via Public-List wrote:
> Hi All,
> I was just looking at the pictures on Jason's blog. So what do people
> think? Is that the edge of the deck without the core or does the core
> run all the way out? I would think if the core ran all the way out,
> EVERYONE'S decks would be wet by now.  Typical construction on other
> boats stops the core about 1 1/2 -2" in from the edge. I know there
> have been folks who have and are currently recoring their decks. Are
> you guys finding no core out near the edge?

I'm not sure of the details of the early boats, which had masonite
pegboard cores. You can see how the hull deck joint was done on the
later boats on http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/NewerHullDeckJoint/

The hull turned inwards. A strip of glass mat soaked in resin was laid
on this. The deck was set on top and pop-riveted into place.

On the newer boats, the core runs out to the flange, but not over it.
There were a few "transition" boats where the balsa core stopped short
of the stanchion bases. I don't know how many were made, but 371 was one
of these. You can spot them because the deck glass rises up under the
genoa track rather than having wood there.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org