[Public-List] Electricity Consumption

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Mar 28 10:55:30 PDT 2017

On 3/28/17 12:32 PM, Rod Symmes via Public-List wrote:
> The hardest part is staying alert when our electronics is SO darned
> reliable.  There is the source of over confidence in electronics. The
> most common problem I have while gunkholing, is not the chart plotter
> but the depth sounder.  With certain bottoms and especially with
> weed, once the depth is less than about 10 feet, the sounder stops
> displaying correct depth.  I have not been able to figure out what
> setting to change to get it reading reliably in the shallows.    Has
> anyone solved this problem ?

Yes, I carry a leadline. ;-) In fact, the electronic depth sounder
hasn't worked in years. This winter, worried that it might someday leak
and knowing that modern units would be a different size, I took out the
through-hull fitting for the sending unit and glassed in the hole.

I also removed the knotmeter sending unit, which was also
non-functional. I use http://alberg30.org/store/knot-table.pdf instead.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org