[Public-List] Reefing/furling

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Wed Oct 4 13:47:07 PDT 2017

Two thoughts: first the stay sail. The sail plan on the AL30 is a
gerrymandered rig because of Humber Bay in Toronto, (also known as Slumber
Bay). It was designed by Alberg as a  fractional rig and Kurt raised it to a
masthead rig because of light summer winds in Toronto.  I know of only one
deck that can withstand the force of a  baby stay without further
reinforcement and that was Hull number 7 and sail number in the 20's, owned
by Denis Furniss. There was an oak plank, 2" x 14" from the bulkhead to the
deck head piece under the deck to support a windlass on that boat. Denis was
the mold maker for Kurt. He could do as he liked on the hull . (He also had
a roll-out double bed in the main cabin).   Consider the geometry of the
sail plan if you do change. We already have a center of effort (CoE) that is
aft and so helm can be a problem.  Having a sail on the forestay keeps the
CoE of the foresail forward and also that of the combined CoE forward.
Pointing ability will be better with the sail on the forestay. As long as
one can establish a slot between foresail and main, things will work well.
On the other hand, Joe Fernandez, the sail builder for most of the original
sails on AL30s had a rule of thumb that went like this:  For racing; Up to
15 knots use full sail allowed (163 jib and full main). Between 15 and 22
knots use a smaller foresail (135 -150) and one reef in the main. More than
22 knots take the main down and sail on the jib! Don't forget that you
develop between 65 and 70% of your power from your foresail. Why you want to
reduce that potential is questionable in my opinion.
    Second thought: As for the area of a sail and decksweepers, old math
states the area of a triangle is 1/2 the base  x height. and height is the
perpendicular from the apex(clew) to the base (luff). Therefore as long as
the angle at the tack  from head to tack to the clew is less than 90
degrees, the perpendicular to the luff is the same regardless of whether the
sail is high cut or decksweeper.  The only way to get more area is to
increase the perpendicular distance.
Don