[Public-List] Recommended Spinnaker winches

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Oct 7 09:28:14 PDT 2017

Hi again... actually the winches are a pair of 40STs......

On 2017-10-07, 12:20 PM, "Public-List on behalf of Gordon Laco via Public-List" <public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.org on behalf of public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:

    We did the same aboard SURPRISE.

    The old Barients when back to the spinnaker sheet pads... and I acquired a pair of Harken 42ST’s as compensation for teaching a series of lectures in rigging at Georgian College.

    I’d not have chosen Harken, due to the amount of plastic in them (upper jaws) and also because the knurling on the drums was far too aggressive (it’s worn down to satisfactory now).

    Andersens are probably about the best winches made today.  I’d have chosen them if I were buying a set, but took the Harkens because that’s what was offered.  Funny thing about marketing... Harken has a great name, but when their winches were called ‘Barbarossa’ nobody like them.  Harken acquired the company, changed the name, but still makes them in the same factory by the same people... and now they’re great.

    I reckon the thing about winches is that most of them are seriously over-engineered with regard to strength.  Most winches never get stressed to a fraction of what they’re capable of, so most winches will serve well, as my Harkens have.

    Gord
    #426 Surprise