[Public-List] Roller Furling

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Sep 26 08:50:53 PDT 2017

John,

On 9/26/17 9:56 AM, John Irving via Public-List wrote:
> I'm thinking about putting roller furling on Scotch Bonnet, #634.  I
> like the flexibility of using hanker on light air sails and storm
> sails, but sometimes it's tough to get a headsail down in a hurry
> when single handing and a storm comes up.  Can anyone advise where to
> find a good used furler?
When I'm single-handing, or expecting high winds when I might not want
to send someone up to the foredeck, I rig a downhaul on the jib. This is
just a 3/16" or 1/4" line tied to the top hank of the jib, run down to
the stem passing between the sail and the forestay a couple times to a
block mounted on the stem fitting, and then back to the cockpit.

To drop the sail I pull the sheet in tight, back the jib over the
foredeck, release the halyard and pull in the downhaul. That holds the
jib on the foredeck until I have time to deal with it.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org