[Public-List] Traveller Install

Zachary Smith zacharysmith.us at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:19:47 PDT 2018

1) I know a lot of people will disagree, but large flat washers will work
fine (instead of backing plates). The load on the A30 traveler isn't that
high and the A30 deck is extremely strong (assuming core is intact). Using
large flats also helps distribute the load better (underside of deck is not
smooth). Some will tell you that a slam gybe in high wind will put 100
million pounds of static load on the traveler (or whatever). If it does,
the weak point won't be your deck whether you used washers or plates!

2) It's better if you don't drill holes 2x, as you lose strength (deck
glass replaced with resin plug). You can use a nail bent into an 'L'
mounted onto a drill to dig the core out. Then just putty in epoxy
w/filler. It's a major PITA, but will work. A die grinder will work better
if you got it. Result will be much better!

Zach

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Chris Martin via Public-List <