[Public-List] corroded rudder

Clay Pass clay.q.pass at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 17:44:43 PST 2021

The pictures looks very similar to what mine looked like with rudder post
slop.  Mine was actually missing the gudgeon.  I just had a new gudgeon
machined out of bronze stock with the hole sized to match the diameter of
the existing/worn rudder post.  I cut off the worn pin that goes into the
rudder shoe on the bottom and drilled/tapped the bottom of the rudder post
for I believe a 1/2" bronze bolt with a shoulder and then cut the head off
to form a new pin.  I then had the hole in the rudder shoe drilled larger
(because the hole was worn and elongated) and had a bronze bushing pressed
into it that had a new 1/2" hole.  That was 3 years ago.  I'm about to have
it hauled and will inspect again to see how it is holding up, but it seems
to be working great.

The hole was drilled and tapped without removing the rudder while the boat
was on the hard.  Just lying on the ground, drilling upward with a hand
drill (make sure to use slow speed and hardened sharp bits with some oil)
starting with a smaller hole and then enlarging to 1/2".  Check to make
sure 1/2" is the right diameter, I may be forgetting.  I believe the
correct dimension is on the Alberg website.  I just bedded the new gudgeon
with 3M 4000UV.  I had the screws machined with heads that sat flush to the
surface.

Clay
#449 Seeing Deep

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 12:28 AM Stephen Gwyn via Public-List <