[Public-List] Rudder tube

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Tue May 25 19:27:37 PDT 2021

Greg,
My understanding is that the fit is not important. The bearing surface is not against the tube.  In fact you don't want the rudder stock rubbing against the inside of the tube. The tube is in place just to keep the water out of the bilge. In early boats the tube extends all the way up to the bearing at the rudder head in the cockpit.  Later boats have a shorter tube with a gland nut and packing below the cockpit sole which is used to seal the rudder stock from leaking water into the bilge.

>From what you describe it might be that the tube became detached from the bottom side of the cockpit sole and was not centered properly when reattached?
Michael